GOLF TEAM WINS DOUBLE VICTORY IN NEW YORK

Linksmen Defeat Columbia and Penn on Westchester-Biltmore Course--Low Card Goes to Peirson With 77

New York, May 2,--Although without the service of its leader, Captain Clough, the University golf team scored two decisive victories yesterday, over the Columbia linksmen in the morning, and the golfers from the University of Pennsylvania in the afternoon. Columbia was defeated 8 to 1, and Pennsylvania 6 to 3, over the course at the Westchester-Biltmore Club at Rye. New York.

The feature of the morning round against the Columbia golfers was the playing of the first three members of the Crimson team, Hodder, Mapes, and Peirson, the first two turning in scores of 79, and the latter an 80.

In the afternoon match with the Quaker City linksmen, Peirson continued his brilliant play, securing a 77 or two above par on the exceedingly difficult course. The on up victory of Soule in 19 holes, was a notable achievement for the Crimson. Mapes and Hodder, each with an 32, were other low scorers for Harvard.

The summary of the Columbia match.

Clark Hodder '23 defeated Jackson, 4 and 3; J. J. Mapes '25 defeated Hanson, 8 and 7; C. L. Peirson '25 defeated McGloughiln, 4 and 3; Shanley defeated W. G. Soule '25, 4 and 3; A. R. Parker Jr. '25 defeated Jaeger, 5 and 4; C. J. Henderson '25 defeated Vanart 1 up.

Foursomes--Hodder and Mapes defeated Jackson and Banson, 5 and 3 Peirson and Soule defeated McGloughlin and Shanley, 5 and 4; Parker and Henderson defeated Jaeger and Vanart 4 and 2.

The summary of the Pennsylvania match:

Mapes defeated Stevens 1 up: Hodder defeated Allman, 3 and 2; Peirson defeated Gilmartin 7 and 6 Soule defeated Williams, 1 up. 19 holes, Parker defeated Thompson, 2 up: Werthen defeated Henderson, 3 and 1.

Foursomes, Stevens and Allman defeated Mapes and Hodder, 1 up Peirson and Soule defeated Gilmartin and Williams 1 and 6: Thompson and Werthen defeated Parker and Henderson 6 and 4.