DARTMOUTH FRESHMEN TO INVADE SOLDIERS FIELD

GATES WILL PROBABLY BE ON MOUND FOR CRIMSON

The Dartmouth Freshman team will meet its second real encounter when it invades the Freshman diamond at 4 o'clock this afternoon. Except for a game with Yale 1927, and practice games with the Dartmouth nine, it has no record so far on which to estimate its strength.

Held Eli Freshmen to 3 Hits

Although the Eli Freshmen shut them out, 3 to 0, with one hit, allowing only one man to reach second, the three runs on the Blue side of the score came from only three hits. Duplin, who may be Coach Hazelton's choice this afternoon, almost completely baffied the heavy hitting Yale nine. Tracey, who heads the batting order, was the only Green man to reach second or to hit, when he banged out a long double. Practically every member of the team has wielded a heavy bat in practice games with the Wah-Hoo-Wah nine, but it is the pitching staff in which Coach Hazelton takes most pride. In Carver and Duplin, he has the best pair of moundsmen that he has had for several years.

Gates is Probable Crimson Pitcher

Coach Davidson spent a long session yesterday in preparation for this afternoon's contest. The infield, which has not been functioning well lately, was given a stiff practice drill and should work together much better than it did in the Worcester game. Gates, whose only defeat this year was by Dean Academy, when his teammates failed to support him, will be the most probable starter in the box, although Phelps, who has been shifted from pitcher to third baseman and now back to pitch again, may get the assignment.

This afternoon's game will form the first possible basis for a comparison between the Blue and the Crimson 1927 teams. The Eli outfit has been running away from its opponents so far, winning a no-hit game immediately before the one-hit game against Dartmouth.