MEMORIAL SOCIETY PLANS LARGE REORGANIZATION

WOULD ELECT TEN SENIORS AND FIVE JUNIORS

The Harvard Memorial Society, which was founded in 1895 by eight members of the class of '96, is now being reorganized under a committee headed by its president, K. B. Murdock '16, and consisting of D. T. W. McCord '21, M. A. DeW. Howe '87, J. W. D. Seymour '17, Dr. Alfred Johnson '98, and Albert Matthews '82.

Although at present the Society has no undergraduate members, in former years its personnel was made up of about 35 representative men from the two upper classes of the college, honorary members who had performed some conspicuous service for the University, and finally, graduates who had maintained an interest in the Society.

Activities Diversified

The purpose of the Harvard Memorial Society is to foster interest among students in the historical associations of the University, and to perpetuate the traditions of the past. Its activities are directed into four channels, namely; the direction of the exercises at Harvard on Memorial Day, the preparation of commemorative tablets, the organization of lectures on the historic interests of the College, and the editing of the official guide-book to the University.

The bronze tablets on Massachusetts, Hollis, Holworthy and Stoughton Hollis; the carved inscription on Harvard Hall, the stone in front of Wadsworth House; printed lists of past occupants in each of the rooms of Hollis, Stoughton and Holworthy, are among the tasks which have been accomplished by the Society.

Plan Dinner on May 28

At a dinner to be given by the Society on May 28, an undergraduate committee consisting of ten Seniors and five Juniors, will be present, when plans for the future activities of the Society will be discussed. The men who comprise this committee will be selected from the prominent men in the Junior and Senior classes.

Among the former presidents of the Society were President Lowell, Professor C. E. Norton '46, Professor G. H. Palmer '64, and W. C. Lane '81, the last named having been President or Vice-President every year since 1903.

Theodore Roosevelt '80, John Fiske '63, Henry Cabot Lodge '71, Edward Everett Hale '39, and Charles William Eliot '53, are among the prominent honorary members affiliated with the Society.