ONE INNING SPOILS ROBINSON'S RECORD

Bowdoin Earns Three Runs on Long Hits--Toulmin Is Master of Situation Throughout Entire Game

If some indulgent genie could wipe the first inning off yesterday's slate, Bowdoin would have to its credit a victory over Harvard, and moundsman Robinson might have his hat in the baseball Hall of Fame reserved for pitchers of no-hit games. For the last eight innings the Bowdoin twirler had the Crimson eating out of his hand hitless and well nigh runless; but since he had no magic lamp to rub, the first inning must stand, leaving Harvard a 6 to 3 victor and Robinson not an immortal, but only a defeated pitcher.

The riotous Crimson first inning can not be laid entirely at Robinson's door. His infielders helped the Harvard cause by contributing two atrocious errors. These, added to three hits and a wild pitch, gave the University five runs, quite enough to win. Thereafter Robinson raised havoc with the Harvard batting averages. Crimson bats swung vainly at his offerings, although one more run was marked up in the third by a base on balls and two errors.

Toulmin Proves Effective

Toulmin, in the box for the home team, was less spectacular but fully as effective as his rival. He took advantage of his early lead and did not extend himself except when necessary. The Pine Tree staters made only four hits, one more than the Crimson, and nine of the visitors were retired on strikes. All three Bowdoin runs were earned, however, by heavy hitting. A home run to the lacrosse field by left fielder Williams in the fourth chalked up one score. Two more came across in the fifth on a sharp single to right by right fielder Daggett, a prodigious triple to left by the omnipresent Robinson, and a sacrifice fly.

First Frame A Busy One

The eventful first frame began with a pass to Rogers. Norris looped a single over second base. Gordon lined another hit in the same direction, scoring Rogers and advancing Norris to third. After slamming a lengthy foul down the left field line, Todd dribbled to Captain Johnson, the Bowdoin short-fielder, who hurled the ball over the catcher's head spectacular work. The Indian traders had used this trade-route for centuries, and we found many of their original holy books, written on long paper scrolls, in the original Sanskrit, or translated by medieval scholars into Chinese or Turki. It was significant because of the light it shed on the influence these traders, straggling periodically over the mountain passes, had on the art of the early Chinese.

Had to Dig for Water

"We turned from this trade-route at its western end and followed the Black River north until it became so low that we had to dig in its bed to get water. After several days of most arduous travelling, we reached Edsina, the famous town where Marco Polo prepared for his forty-day hike to the palace of the Great Khan at Kara Korum. One of the strange encroachments of the desert has left the town deserted now, but its huge walls stand up 35 feet in the air, making a picturesque sight with their weathered, unbaked bricks. The remains of the bastion form a particularly good example of medieval fortification. We did a great deal of digging here, unearthing a lot of stucco sculpture, with the color still fresh, a magnificent bronze mirror, and some very good fragments of fresco-work."

When the reporter asked Mr. Warner if he had any excitement on his trip, he replied, "Why, the most thrilling adventure I can imagine is to peel off plaster and paint from the wall of a shrine and find these fascinating paintings behind. Of course, most of them mean little to me; an expedition like this would have to have had scholars in every field of science and language, in order to appreciate each 'find" at its true value.

Meets 20 Cent Murderers

"To be sure, however," he added, "we did have a lot of thrills of the kind you mean. The provinces of Honan, Chensi and Chansi are infested with rascally bandits, discharged soldiers, especially around Loyang. In the western provinces, the bandits are no less numerous, but here they are Mohammedans who are called Chanto, or turban-people, by the Chinese. Any one of these would stick you in the back for 20 cents, but they are a rough, genial sort, and are a problem to the Chinese in Kansu. Around the Yellow River and Huang Ho, Field Marshal Wu Bel Fu rules with an iron hand, yet he asked me to wait three days before continuing my journey, so that he could warn the bandits to let me alone.PRIZE OF WARNER EXPEDITION BROUGHT FROM WESTERN CHINA Statue, Dating From Ninth Century, of One of Buddha's Attendant Gods