A HARD LIFE

While the writer of the communication below warns young journalists that they will be troubled by having cheerfulness "break through" upon them, he seems to have been only very slightly afflicted in this way himself. In fact, his searing, caustic criticism of the public press does much to shake one's youthful confidence in a romantic, Richard-Harding-Davis like of which all members are gentlemen, all editors outwardly cytrlcal but inwardly tender and human, all owners impressive and domineering but quick to discern loyalty and ability in their devoted neophytes.

In spite of such revelations, however, which appear a little bitter even to a hardened CRIMSON editor, there remain a few incontestable facts. That is to say, it is difficult to deny the brilliance and integrity of a remarkably large number of outstanding figures in the field of journalism--in the past, and even in the present, in which, of course one is most interested. If it be assumed that all others belong in the "ex-street car men" category, and that the few prominent examples are without less conspicuous but able and honest counterparts then perhaps the journalistic world is really as barren as we are asked to believe. Perhaps it holds no opportunities for the man of moderate ability. But this does not seem to be fully demonstrated.

On the other hand, it is undoubtedly true that the financial rewards are not large. If one gets $15 a week as a reporter, one may better one's self by getting a job as board-boy at $20 or after the proper education, as a bricklayer at $13 a day. Journalism has never been regarded as a "get-rick-quick proposition for its followers but the satisfaction and the interest which it supplies have always been considered adequate compensation by those who love the game. After all this is what it comes to. Those who find their greatest pleasure in getting the news, or in writing about it, stick in spite of low wages and hard work. The others, naturally enough, do not find it worth while. And this aspect, certainly, is one which should be appreciated and investigated by everyone contemplating a journalistic career.