VICTORY OF YALE NETMEN MARS 1924 TENNIS SEASON

YIELDED TO BALTIMORE COUNTRY CLUB ON SPRING TRIP

Starting the season with a successful spring trip and continuing through the year with only an occasional set-back, the University tennis team came through a difficult schedule of matches with a record of eight victories and only three defeats. Had it not been for the reverse suffered at the hands of Yale, this season might be remembered for one of the most praiseworthy in the history of tennis at Harvard.

Furthermore, the presence of three almost equally strong players on the team should give the University a fair chance of winning the intercollegiate which are to be played after college closes at Baltimore, starting on June 23. The singles team, which is to be composed of four players, is already pointing toward this objective, but it is difficult to predict what success will attend their efforts, since so much depends on the fortunes of the draw.

Defeated Agawam Easily

Leaving Cambridge on Saturday, April 12, the University netmen met the Agawam Hunt Club at Providence that afternoon for the initial encounter of the season, and pulled out an easy victory by the score of 6-2. On the following Monday, the Country Club of Virginia was defeated 7-2. The next day, Captain Pfaffmann and his teammates encountered the first real opposition of the season, emerging from their match with the Norfolk Country Club with flying colors, the ultimate count being 6-3. The next victim was the Chevy Chase Country Club team, headed by Dwight Davis '00, donor of the Davis Cup, famous international tennis trophy. But an otherwise successful trip was marred when the Crimson bowed before the Baltimore Country Club combination. The University was handicapped by the absence of Ingraham from the line-up.

In its first match on home courts, the team once more got back into its winning stride on Monday, April 28, when it easily overcame the Business School team by a 6-2 count. Ingraham was at his best that day, overcoming Davies, former intercollegiate doubles champion from California, by a 6-3, 6-3 score.

Although Columbia presented an almost unbeatable combination, the University was able to gain the decision in four of the matches. Captain Anderson, Lang, and Marshall, first three players on the Columbia team, all won their singles matches Captain Anderson easily defeating Ingraham, 6-3, 6-4. If it were not for the recent illness of Captain Anderson, his team would be almost sure of gaining the verdict in the approaching intercollegiate, and even with him out of the line-up, Columbia must still be in the reckoning.

Ingraham Loses to Kunkel

In a practice match with the Lincoln's Inn players on Wednesday, May 7, the University was an easy victor, 5-1. After a desperate struggle, Ingraham dropped the first singles match to Kunkel who is the Middle Atlantic doubles champion.

Once more the Crimson faced the Business School and again gained the verdict, 6-3. This time however, Davies took his revenge on Ingraham, winning a grueling match by an 8-6, 8-6 count.

On Saturday, May 17, the University invaded the Tiger's courts, and brought home a 6-3 victory. One of the most exciting matches of the season was staged between Ingraham and Captain Howard, the latter triumphing after three sets of the most brilliant tennis, 6-4, 6-8, 10-8. With Anderson of Columbia out of the running, Howard is a likely winner of the individual intercollegiate championship, having already defeated Ingraham and Arnold Jones of Yale.

Then came the Eli disaster on Saturday, May 24. Ingraham and Captain Pfaffmann won their singles and doubles matches. In every other match, Yale was victorious. The biggest surprise of the afternoon was Ingraham's triumph over Captain Arnold Jones. After losing the first set, he easily pulled through with the last two 6-3, 6-1.

On the following Monday, Ingraham was unanimously elected captain for the 1924-1925 season.