JONES FAILS TO REPEAT IN GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP

REPEATERS SCARCE IN HISTORY OF HISTORIC GAME

Detroit, Mich, June 6.--R. T. Jones '24, defending his title as national open golf champion here today succumbed to the jinx that has consistently kept champions from repeating. Jones was runner-up to Cyril Walker, professional of the Englewood (N. J.) Golf Club.

On only two occasions has a player reached the summit of golfdom in successive years. William Anderson won the title three times straight, 1903, 1904, and 1905, and J. J. McDermott pulled through a victor in 1911 and 1912. Invariably, with these two exceptions, the defending champion has fallen by the wayside.

Jones started out like a champion, however, and set the pace for the field, composed of the country's golfing best, at the end of the first day's play. His first 36 holes were completed in 147 strokes, the same number required by William Mehlhorn of St. Louis, who shared top-honors with the Harvard man, Jones was still in a tie for the lead after the first round today, his 75 giving him 222 for 54 holes. Meanwhile Walker, scoring his third successive 74, had the same total, and Mehlhorn was one stroke behind.

Jones dropped to 78 on his final round, however, and Walker, maintaining his consistent game, played around in 75, gaining the title with 297 strokes to 300 for Jones.