LECTURES WILL DETERMINE WHY PEOPLE BUY AND SELL

WILL DEVOTE SECOND HALF YEAR TO ADVANCED COURSE

To analyze the elements and factors which control human action in buying and selling will be the fundamental purpose of the course in advertising given during the first half year in the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration by Associate Professor Daniel Starch G. '08, and open under the terms of the will of George H. Leatherbee to the public free of charge. This will be the fourth year in which the Leatherbee lectures have been given.

Beginning in February, Dr. Starch will give similarly an advanced course affording opportunity for more concentrated study of special problems and methods given in the field of advertising.

In view of the important place in the marketing of merchandise, which advertising has assumed, and how, with constantly improving methods, it has become a permanent and useful factor in the present-day sales processes, particular emphasis will be placed upon methods of investigation employed for securing concrete facts and data in preparing and evaluating the appeals to be presented in any carefully prepared advertising plan. The course will deal with the place and function of advertising in business, with typical analyses of the markets and of the groups of persons to whom certain commodities are to be sold, with an analysis of the fundamental wants and characteristics of human beings and of the appeals to be employed in influencing the buying process, with a study of the most effective manner of presenting the appeals and the channels through which the appeals may be most adequately presented.

In the advanced course each member of the class will be held responsible for the thorough study and investigation of one or more concrete advertising problems arising in specific business situations.