WELCOME STRANGER!

Out in the wild and sometimes wuzzy middle-west some of the Universities--notably Chicago and Northwestern--have schemes whereby freshmen start in their college year earlier than the other members of the student body. It is compulsory. In Cambridge the plan of allowing registration before the formal opening of college was tried for the first time last year. Now it is announced that there are to be several meetings for freshmen and other new students before the formal day. Monday, September 22 arrives. For instance: "Several of the Freshman, Advisers will be available today." Oh Freshman, there is an entire education in that word "available"!

The program of talks arranged for tomorrow morning should be attended not only by all newcomers, but by about half of the old residents. That Professor Merriman will be not only instructive but entertaining in his remarks on how to behave in a big lecture course is assured. Mr. Murdock, we know will not fail to be enlightening on the ways of the stacks. Many may feel more interest in Professor Conant's remarks on how to study science than why, since most find that it is not theirs to reason why.

The informal meeting in Smith Halls tomorrow night, and the reception by Dean and Mrs. Greenough in the Union on Sunday, are opportunities to be seized upon. All who take advantages thereof should soon feel the strangerness wearing off. Indeed, such a welcome as all these events provide, give the lie to the oft-repeated bogey about Harvard's coldness. The new members of the college will not only receive some excellent suggestions on how to deal with problems of college study, but will assuredly realize that the college office is what it is--interested in every individual and his welfare.