180 OARSMEN RESPOND TO FALL ROWING CALL

FRESHMAN FALL SEASON BEGINS WITH MEETING TONIGHT

One of the largest turnouts in the history of Fall rowing in the University greeted Captain S. B. Kelley '25 yesterday afternoon when 180 men responded to the initial call for candidates at a meeting in Newell boathouse.

Following the routine filling out of eligibility cards, Captain Kelley addressed the meeting, voicing his optimism over prospects for a successful season, and stressing the fact that every position in the boat is open, and in the final analysis, will go to the oarsman best qualified.

Refers to Last Year's Crew Shifts

Captain Kelley cited the personnel of last years eight in the early races, and the changes which occurred before the Yale race, during which time but three men retained their seats.

Coach F. W. Spuhn was then introduced. The new coach of the 150-pound candidates, and former star Washington oarsman gave a brief talk. Mr. Spuhn stated that he considered it an opportunity to come to Harvard, and that he meant to give his best to duplicate Coach Newell's successful season last year, when, in the final race, the Eli shell was left trailing lengths in the rear.

Manager Outlines Crew's Routine

Manager W. S. Blanchard '25 spoke briefly about reporting promptly. All crew notices will be posted in Leavitt & Peirce's window. The line-ups which will appear by 10 o'clock this morning are purely tentative. Coach Stevens is delayed in returning because of the illness of his wife, but rowing will start this afternoon with Coach Brown assisting Captain Kelley in directing the work.

Candidates for the Freshman crew will he asked to attend a meeting tonight at 7.15 o'clock in Smith Halls Common Room. Coach Haines, and his assistants, A. L. Hobson Jr. '24, and J. L. Hoover '24 will speak.