Scurrying Manager Candidates Become Extinct as H. A. A. Puts Half-Time Schedule in Force for Freshmen

An innovation has been made this fall in the Freshman football manager competition, it was announced yesterday by the H. A. A.

In an attempt to cooperate with the college office, an effort which has been particularly apparent the last year or so, T. J. Campbell '12, assistant to F. W. Moore '93, has devised a scheme whereby work for the Freshman candidates will be cut almost in half.

Thirty-seven Freshmen reported for the competition which opened Monday of this week. As this large number is cumbersome and difficult to handle efficiently it will be cut as soon as it is possible for the managing staff to do so. By the end of a period of ten days on two weeks it is hoped the candidates will have been cut to a bare dozen. Instead of reporting every day as has formerly been the custom each candidate will then report only every other day in groups of six.

Formerly over two dozen candidates have been kept until the season was half over, after which they were gradually eliminated until about the time of the Princeton Freshman game when six were given official appointments. To make up for the smaller number of candidates who will assist the management this year, the H. A. A. has employed six paid employees, who with the aid of the ball boys selected from various boys' clubs, will take care of a large part of the physical work, such as taking out the supplies to the three fields every afternoon and bringing them back to the store room after practice, supplying water to the players, keeping the fields clear of unused headguards and footballs, and duties of a similar nature.

The work of the Freshman candidates will thus be largely alleviated. No longer will the football manager competition serve as a plausible excuse for deficiencies in academic work at the November hours or midyears. With but three days or possibly four days' work a week, the Freshman football manager competition will not be a drudgery.