Harvard Law School Makes Online Zero-L Course Free for All U.S. Law Schools Due to Coronavirus
For Kennedy School Fellows, Epstein-Linked Donors Present a Moral Dilemma
Tenants Grapple with High Rents and Local Turnover at Asana-Owned Properties
In April, Theft Surged as Cambridge Residents Stayed at Home
The History of Harvard's Commencement, Explained
Provisions restricting club "rushing" activities before October 20, the date on which Sophomores may be elected to any of the undergraduate clubs, will be more stringent this year than ever before, according to an announcement made by Mr. R. H. Holt '11, secretary of the Advisory Committee. The provisions, as passed by the Advisory Committee, are as follows:
Canvassing phohibited by Pact
"Whereas, under the club agreement, among the practices prohibited under the head of 'canvassing', is that of notifying any undergraduate 'indirectly' that he is, or is not, under consideration as a future member of any club;
"And, Whereas, it is desirable in the opinion of the committee to define the meaning of this restriction more difinitely.
Sophomores Must Not be Cultivated
"Now, Therefore, Voted: It is the sense of this committee that this restriction will be violated, if a club member, or members, cultivate the acquaintance of any undergraduate before the opening of college of his Sophomore year with such persistency as to indicate to him that he is under consideration as a future member of the club to which said club member, or members, belong."
Dropped Freshmen are Eligible
"Voted--that unclassified students and dropped Freshmen should be regarded as Sophomores under the agreement."
Ten years ago, an agreement was entered into between 26 undergraduate clubs, regulating the election of mem- bers. Under that agreement, October 20, the fourth Monday after the opening of the college year, has been fixed as the day on which club rushing may begin.
The agreement was signed, in May 1914, by representatives of the following clubs: A. D. Club, Alpha Phi Sigma Club, Alpha Sigma, Phi Fraternity, Argo Club, Delphic Club, Digamma Club, D. U. Club, Falcon Club, Fly Club, Iroqois Club, K. G. X. Club, Kappa Sigma Fraternity, Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity, Owl Club, Phi Kappa Epsilon Club, Phoenix Club, Pi Eta Club, Porcellian Club, S. A. E. Fraternity, S. K. Club, Sigma Alpha Mu Fraternity, Spee Club, Stylus Club, Styx Club, Tau Delta Phi Fraternity, and Zata Beta Tau Fraternity.
The agreement is as follows:
1. Canvassing is here defined as "reading" or speaking or making to any undergraduate any statement or represention about any club, or notifying him directly or indirectly that he is or is not under consideration as a future member of any club.
2. Each club shall prohibit its undergraduate members and its memberselect (meaning thereby persons notified of their election but not yet initiated) from canvassing any undergraduate before the opening of college in his sophomore year.
3. Each club shall request its graduate members to consider it a point of honor not to canvass any undergraduate in any way before the opening of college in his sophomore year.
4. No pledge or promise shall be accepted or taken from any undergraduate before the Friday following the fourth Monday after the opening of college in his sophomore year by any club or by any member thereof to the effect that he will join any club or that he will not join any other club, and any such pledge or promise, whether originating in misunderstanding or otherwise, shall not be binding upon such undergraduate or upon any of the said clubs agreeing thereto, but shall be regarded by everybody as null and void and countrary to the spirit of this agreement.
DATE OF ELECTIONS
5. No club shall elect as a member any undergraduate before the fourth Monday after the opening of college in his sophomore year, or before that time pledge or promise election, even by implication, to such undergraduate.
DATE OF NOTICE OF ELECTIONS
6. No club shall give notice to any undergraduate of his election, earlier than the Tuesday following the fourth Monday after the opening of college in his sophomore year.
7. No club shall take as a member any undergraduate from the class of 1918 or subsequent classes who has accepted election before the Friday following the fourth Monday after the opening of college in his sophomore year to any other social club or society, which takes in less than 100 members from a college class. The Advisory Committee shall have power to determine what organizations come within the meaning of this rule.
8. Each club shall, annually before Commencement Day, appoint a graduate representative to serve throughout the following year on an Advisory Committee, which committee shall elect its own chairman, who need not be a representative appointed by a club, and shall consider matters arising under this agreement and such modifications there of as may seem desirable. The powers of this committee shall be advisory only, except that it shall be the duty of this committee to take suitable steps to make this agreement known to all persons concerned.
WHEN IN EFFECT.
9. This agreement shall be effective with relation to the members of the class of 1918 and subsequent classes.
10. This agreement shall continue without limitation, except that any club may withdraw after giving one year's written notice to the parties hereto.
11. That all parties affected by this agreement may be fully cognizant of its contents, it is hereby provided that--
(a) the provisions of this agreement affecting candidates shall be made public in such manner as the Advisory Committee shall determine;
(b) the agreement shall be read at the first meeting of every club held after the opening of college;
(c) the agreement shall thereafter remain posted in some conspicuous place in each club house.
12. Inasmuch as the successful working of this agreement depends upon the strict observance of all rules herein contained, each club member shall consider it a matter of honor to maintain such rules.
For the furtherance of these it is here by provided that--
(a) at stated intervals during the year the presidents of all the clubs that are parties to the agreement shall meet to discuss any question which may have arisen as to the working or infringement of the rules;
(b) any complaint shall be at that time reported;
(c) any disputes arising between any of the parties shall be submitted to arbitration in such from as the Advisory Committee shall determine
Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.