"BELLES OF BELLESLEY" IS PI ETA PRECEDENT

Annual Show Last Given at Wellesley 25 Years Ago--Newspaper Reports Were Enthusiastic in Praise

When the Pi Eta Club gives a performance of "Peter Called Prince", its fifty-ninth annual production at Wellesley a week from tonight it will bring back memories of the "Belles of Bellesley", which the club presented 25 years ago at the Wellesley Town Hall.

Since that date there have been no shows produced at the college by the club, although there has been a very persistent agitation at both colleges to renew the relations broken off in 1899.

That year's show was heralded by the CRIMSON on April 11, as "with one possible exception, the best which the society has given". It contained several travesties of Wellesley traditions and customs, particularly a take-ff on the Wellesley crew which according to a Boston paper of that date "brought forth shouts of applause" from the audience. Officially named on the elaborate program as "A Comic Opera in Two Acts" the show made so great a hit that the "Herald" on the following day came out with the statement that "seldom has the Wellesley world roused itself to keener enjoyment and heartier abandonment than that of last evening."

The chorus and the leading lady, though not dressed in the present fashion apparently also aroused great enthusiasm. The CRIMSON calls P. L. Fish '01 who took the part of Lucy Lenox, the heroine, "a fascinating maiden"--and a Boston paper described in accurate detail the impression which "the opening chorus of men's voices issuing from pretty girls dressed in short skirts and shirt-waists" made on the audience.

The first performance of "Peter Called Prince" will be given Monday evening in the Pi Eta Theatre and will be open only to past and present members of the club.