MR. WELLS TO THE RESCUE

H. G. Wells has long had a predilection for theories of education. He has already devoted much thought and ink to putting England's educational system on a sound basis, Now, either satisfied that England is saved, or convinced that she is beyond help--one can't be sure which it is--Mr. Wells volunteers to snatch the United States from deterioration.

With characteristic thoroughness he starts at the beginning. The primary grades are in the hands of women, he accuses. That is bad. The American woman is impressionable and unstable. This is worse. If anyone objects to so summary a condemnation of the American woman, it must remembered that Mr. Wells has seen American women in Hyde Park, and having seen, he knows.

Well, since this point is settled, it naturally follows that the American boy is being stron from his masculine moorings" by the frail creatures whose name is "woman." It might be suggested to Mr. Wells, that the influence of the primary school teacher upon the character of the boy is not so great as he may think; that every boy has his own father as his model of masculine virtue. Mr. Wells has considered that, but he gets no comfort from the thought. The father isn't a fit model. He too is a victim of the system, says Mr. Wells.

If things are really so bad, perhaps something should be done about it. Mr. Wells, though silent as to the remedy, can not be expected to keep silent very long. Perhaps the solution is to banish the offending female from nursery and kindergarten, and replace her with a special importation of English Creakles.