COLLEGE PHARMACY

Mr. Godfrey Leads St. James Company in Revival of Arliss Play Aided by Miss Blakeney and Mr Elkins

The St. James indulges this week in another very credible revival, namely, "Disraeli". It is a brave stock company that attempts to reproduce this play which George Arliss carried up and down the American Stage, but since its one claim to greatness is in the part of Disraeli, and since the St. James Company is so fortunate as to have a Mr. Godfrey to act the part, the revival may be termed a distinct success.

The opening lines tend to drag, but as soon as Disraeli appears the play is saved. Mr. Godfrey in the leading role proved his ability as a director. His leadership was truly gratifying and he commanded real support from the other members of the cast. Miss Hilz was well received as Lady Clarissa and in the end heard good news and wedding chimes from Bernard Nedell, who as Viscount Deeford, is suddenly elevated from a satisfied. Oxonian of 25 years to a saviour of the nation under the tutelage of the great premier.

Olive Blakeney and Roy Elkins created the impression of rather convincing arch-conspirators. Their malefactions against "Dizzie" were almost successful and served to give a stimulating air of mystery. Anna Laying, as Lady Beacons-field, gave an exceedingly convincing interpretation of the fine English Lady who proved so helpful to her rather lonely husband. Houston Richards and Louis Leon Hall handled the finances of England well enough to get some distinction in the final court scene along with a host of minor characters who constituted almost the entire personel of the company. Even Hector, himself, helped in the closing scene to insure our "getting" Disraeli. A. H. W. H.