RULES COMMITTEE SITS ON HARVARD PROBE PETITION

The petition of Representative Arthur F. Blanchard '04, of Cambridge and Van Ness H. Bates '19, for a state investigation of the University will be placed before the Senate and House Joint Rules Committee this afternoon immediately after adjournment of today's session.

Late yesterday Representative Blanchard stated that he had received a statement from John Jay Chapman '84, which will be read as evidence. Mr. Chapman, whose recent article was partly responsible for the action which has been taken by prominent University graduates, gives in the course of the statement, concrete evidence which is most favorable to the proposal.

Mr. Blanchard also said yesterday, in reference to the editorial published in the CRIMSON on Saturday, that "Neither I nor Mr. Bates want to put the University under the control of the state. We feel that there has been much criticism of the commercialized policy which Harvard follows at present, and we want to face the matter squarely. It the committee decides against our petition, we at least will have created discussion about a rather serious situation.