"HOME, JAMES!"

Of late so great has been the press of foreign nobility to American shores that some people are greatly perplexed to explain it. Princes, Grand Dukes, Duchesses, Countesses, not to mention miscellaneous assortments of Lords, and Right Honorables This and That, seem to find some unusual attraction in American democracy.

No doubt the reporter had this problem in mind when he interviewed Grand Duke Boris, the latest noble visitor to New York. "Just to have a good time," was the explanation he gave of his presence on this side of the Atlantic; and to dispel any further doubt, he added: "The New York water is excellent."

The Grand Duke has solved the mystery. Nobility must be amused, so it migrates to America. Paris, Monte Carlo, the Riviera have been found passe, blase, blafard--that is to say "not in it"--compared with New York. In fact, there has been such a tremendous increase in the traveling nobility of Europe in recent years that one can no longer get the satisfaction of belonging to a select minority. The old stamping grounds of royalty have been literally ruined by too much competition. The surfeited European now yawns at sight of a duke: there are so many of them.

But in America a title will still draw a crowd. Though Americans do not respect thrones, they have the greatest admiration for names. Since they can have no titled aristocracy of their own, they must fill the need by importation. In future, young noblemen, instead of making "the grand tour" will he sent to "See American first!"

If anyone doubt this hedonistic theory of royal migrations, let him remember that on the morning the Prince of Wales embarked from New York he was distinctly heard to murmur something about "Jolly! Ripping! Best ev-ah! By Jove!" This is generally interpreted to mean that he came for a good time and had it.