COLLEGE: BUSINESS SCHOOL

The perplexing problem which was at the root of the present vague discontent with things educational has never been better stated nor more boldly met than in the editorial reprinted below from the Williams Record. The tasks of teaching men "how to live and how to make a living" are separate and distinct, and the methods of one will not apply to the other. To the men of Williams who are waging the fight for humanism as opposed to commercialism the CRIMSON extends its heartiest encouragement.

It does this with the more hope of their ultimate success because it is apparent that at Harvard the problem has been solved by just such measures as they have proposed. In the University there is now a shared "division of functions". The College and the Business School can be and are becoming supreme each in its own sphere.

The mild hostility that has been aroused by the growing strength of this latest graduate school is entirely groundless. Those who fear a contamination of the ideals by the necessarily commercial spirit of the Business School are placing a cheap estimate on these ideals--their strength and worth. The development of the Business School is rather to be commended as the one satisfactory solution of the problem that is now perplexing Williams.

To relieve the College of its half-assumed burden of vocational training--that is the true function of the Business School in the University, as it has been of the Law School, the Medical School, the Dental School, and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. The hierarchy of the American educational system is gradually crystallizing; and with wise guidance Harvard College is assuming its own and proper place in that order. It is now free to pursue the high ideal of teaching men "how to live". To Williams and all the other colleges who are still straddling the path it can but offer its present relation to the Graduate vocational schools as evidence of what can and must be done.