An early morning session in preparation for an examination probably saved 10 University students from fatal accident when fire swept through the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity house at 104 Mount Auburn Street yesterday morning between 2 and 3 o'clock.
J. N. Greenman 1G.B. and M. T. Greenman '26 discovered the blaze, which apparently started in the basement, while they were "cramming for a mid-year They raced through the house shouting fire," awaking eight other students who were sleeping and entirely oblivious of the danger.
A passer by hearing the cry, and seeing the flickering flames, dashed to a nearby alarm box, No. 511, and sounded an alarm which brought the Cambridge Fire Department to the rescue.
By the time they arrived, however, the first had worked up to the second flight and had wrought damage estimates at $2500.