NEW BOXING CHAMPIONS WILL BE COLLEGE MEN

UNDERGRADUATES NOW TRAINED IN MIND AND BODY

The advent of motion pictures and the automobile are going to cause the college man to displace the working boys from the peak of the boxing world, according to Billy Shevlin, boxing instructor at the University. Hereafter college men will rank first in boxing skill as in football.

Mr. Shevlin says that boyhood ambition to excel in athletics was formerly the incentive that led athletes to take up boxing. While these men were young they boxed in the local gymnasium in a keen but friendly manner which developed that instructive knack of ring generalship that is so necessary in the making of a champion. This type of boxer was the product of the city neighborhood athletic club.

Clubs Have Lost Popularity

In later years, however, these clubs have lost their popularity to a large extent Mr. Shevlin maintains that the introduction of the moving picture theatre and the automobile is largely to blame for the decline of these clubs. The men of the type to which the clubs appealed have lost their interest as far as actual participation in athletics is concerned.

This is not true of college men. Today the colleges are centers of physical exercise as well as centers of learning.

Boxing is fast becoming one of the most popular collegiate sports Mr. Shevlin declares. It is being well financed in most of the colleges where it is recognized.

College Boxer Better Adapted

The college boxer is better adapted to boxing than the man who has not been to college. This is especially true since boxing is no longer a battle of brute strength alone, but requires that a successful fighter be able to use his wits as well as his muscles.