HOCKEY STOCK RISES AFTER TORONTO WIN

University Had Not Won From Visitors Since 1913--Cummings Makes 29 Steps--Pratt Shines

In defeating the strong University of Toronto team by the score of 2 to 1 at the Arena last Friday night, the University hockey team showed an improvement in both individual and team play which, if sustanined, should carry it through to an exceptionally successful season. Not since 1913, when the University won 2 to 0, has a Crimson team beaten the Canadians.

Forward Line Fast

The forward line exhibited both speed and unusual passing skill throughout the encounter. None of the sluggishness that was apparent at times in the contest with the Boston Hockey Club was evidenced Friday. The deferrse men proved impregnable until Toronto scored 3333toward the close of the last period. Cummings in the goal successfully stopped 29 hard shots from Toronto sticks.

The University scored in the second period when Pratt, who played the entire game, passed the puck to Austin, allowing him to score a goal. In the last period Hodder sent the puck into the Canadian net after a brilliant individual dash down the ice.

Cummings Brillant at Goal

The individual players who shone Friday night and who should be at their best when the important games come were Bodder and Pratt. Bodder, although still wearing a nose guard, has recovered from the injury received in the B.H.C. contest and was a constant danger to the visiting defense men. The problem of a tight defense seems to be solved although Chase and Hammond are not ready to play yet. Pratt and Ellison proved themselves capable of withstanding almost any attack, and the work of Cummings in the goal was brilliant. As a whole the team showed the spirit and the fight necessary to make a championship team. The reserve men failed to slow up the team play and proved capable understudies to the regulars.

Yale Shows Strength Too

The vacation games demonstrated that both the University and Yale should both have good teams this year as the Elis also triumphed over a Canadian sextet when they beat Queens College Friday night in Pittsburgh by a 3 to 1 score, and Saturday by a 5 to 3 count. Toronto and Queens are generally recognized as the best of the Canadian college hockey teams. The University will meet Yale on January 17 at the Arena. Applications for tickets to this game close Wednesday at the H.A.A.