MEMORIAL HALL TO CLOSE ON SATURDAY

Average Attendance Only 300--No Announcement Has Yet Been Made as to Future Use of Hall

Memorial Hall, which since 1874 has been serving meals to University students, will be formally closed on Saturday, January 10, according to an announcement by President Eliot in a letter published today in the CRIMSON.

For many years this once famous dining hall has struggled against the encroachments of the many cafeterias and restaurants which now crowd Harvard Square. Last year, in a final effort to recoup its past popularity, steps were taken by the University authorities which it was hoped would restore former enthusiasm for the Memorial Hall "Commons". Questionnaries were sent out to sound the attitude of the students, and in accordance with the majority of opinions expressed, a "cafeteroa" system was inaugurated where by the old tables were replaced by smaller ones, and men were permitted to pay by the meal instend of by the week. This measure has failed, however, for the Hall has already lost so much money this year that the University authorities have given it up in despair.

Finished in 1874, the wing of Memorial Hall built for a "commons", has been used ever since as a University Dining Room. For years it was so crowded that the University authorities decided upon an extension and in the summer of 1905 an additional wing on the Kirkland Street side was built in order to provide larger kitchen space. In those days the Dining Hall, filled to overflowing with students, presented a spectacle like that in the commons of an English college today.

No announcement has yet been made by the University authorities concerning plans for the future use of this part of Memorial Hall.

President Lowell's letter is as follows:

"It is with profound regret that the authorities of the University face the question of closing Memorial Hall. For something like a score of years the maintenance of the commons there has been a source of financial worry with small deficits and danger of large ones; yet the authorities of the University have felt a strong desire to keep the Hall going, not because board could be furnished substantially cheaper there than else, where-for it cannot-but for the social benefits of a dining hall where men could meet together constantly, have club tables, and get the advantage that comes in college life from association with a group of comrades around a common table.

"Owing to the habit of taking meals irregularly at different places--eating around, as it is called--and the preference for cafeteria over places where men can meet regualarly together, the attendance at the Hall has, since the war, been falling off. Last spring the Comptroller sent a circular to the students asking for their advice and criticism. Few men complained of the food; many wanted smaller tables and to pay by the meal instead of by the week. These changes were made, with the hope that the number of students would increase, but this has not happened. The Hall is equipped to serve one thousand or more men; it cannot be maintained without a loss for less than 500 men, and the attendance is only about 300. That would mean a loss in the course of a year of about $25,000. Very regretfully, therefore, the authorities have made up their minds that there is not demand enough for Memorial Hall to justify its continuance, and have reluctantly decided to close it on January 10".