DEFENSIVE WORK AGAIN IS FEATURE OF PRACTICE

SCRUBS GAIN LITTLE THROUGH SECOND STRING LINE

Defensive work again featured yesterday's practice for the University eleven. In a scrimmage lasting about half an hour, the Seconds were allowed to retain the ball almost all the time. Only in one instance did the Crimson team attempt an offense, and this resulted in a quick march for a touchdown.

None of the first-string men appeared today in the line-up that encountered the scrubs, but all the members of Team A were present for signal drill. Saltonstall and Sayles were at the ends; Lindner and Nash at the tackles; and Kilgour and Daley flanked Macomber at center on the Team A line. Captain Cheek, Miller, Crosby and Coady completed the outfit that will in all probability face Holy Cross on Saturday. Towards the end of the signal session Howe replaced Miller, and Zarakov took Crosby's place.

Daley Ready for Holy Cross

Daley seems entirely recovered from the injury he received in the opening game against Rensselaer. The only man not in uniform yesterday was J. R. Fordyce, thirdstring tackle. He is expected back in harness today and-will be available for Saturday's encounter.

The 30-minute scrimmage which closed the afternoon's practice, found the Team B line and the backfield from Team C opposing the black shirts. Adie, Simonds, C. H. Bradford, Turner, Hoague, Pratt and E. H. Bradford were the University forwards, while Hamlen. Nordberg, Chase, and Innes were in the backfield berths.

Scrubs Gain Little

The scrubs could make little impression on the defence put up by this eleven. Crawford made two pretty runs off tackle for 11 and 12 yard gains, and a pass from the scrub to Gamache netted eight yards, but beyond these spasmodie advances, the scrub offense failed. Innes played a prominent part in the University defense, his tackle of Crawford on one of his runs standing out particularly.

Hamlen, quarterback on the University eleven punted on first down each time the First Team wrested the ball from the Seconds on downs. His too work was consistently good yesterday afternoon, and with Maher, Coady, and Chauncey also ready for Saturday's game, the Crimson should be able to hold its own in the kicking duels with the Worcester invaders.

The only score of yesterday's scrimmage was the result of a blocked kick. Musgrave's boot was smothered by three University forwards, Pratt recovering the ball on the 39-yard line. The University eleven was here ordered to as sume the offense and after a quick advance, a pass from Hamlen to Baldwin put the ball over.