UNION AND UNIVERSITY TOURNAMENTS PROGRESS

Five First Round Matches Played Off in Former--Singles Players Divided Instead of Seeded

Fall tennis at Cambridge is now in full swing with the University and Union tennis tournaments progressing simultaneously.

The Union's tournament started yesterday afternoon with 74 entries in the first round draw. A new plan is being put into effect this year which divides the singles players into two classes.

Class A is composed of 16 players of proved worth and includes the men who would regularly be seeded. Class B is made up of the remaining candidates for singles honors. Separate awards will be made to the winner of each class.

The doubles competition remains unchanged with four pairs of players distinguished as seeded teams. P. M. Lenhart '27 and L. H. Gordon '27, A. R. Allen '26, and G. H. Perkins '26, L. O. Pratt '26, and Nathaniel Hamlen '27, and T. E. Jansen Jr. '26 and H. N. Rawlins Jr. '27 are the doubles combination which have been seeded and will not meet in the early rounds. The first doubles matches will not be played off until the University tournament has been terminated because come of the teams are entered in both competitions.

In Class A, five of the first round matches have been played. A. R. Allen '26 took a close match from T. E. Jansen Jr. '26. T. O. Kingsbury '27, after dropping the first set, finished strong and won from L. V. Shapiro '26 at 4--6, 6--3, 6--1. G. H. Perkins '26 advanced to the second round at the expense of C. R. Hamlen '28 by a 6--0, 10--8 score. In the last match J. C. Rueter '28 defeated Ralph Churchill Jr. '28, captain of last year's Freshman team in a hard three-set match, 6--3, 4--6, 6--3.

Only a few of the scheduled first round matches in Class B were played, and the remainder must be posted by tonight.