HARVARD ALUMNUS IS GIVEN ASSISTANT POST TO DAVIS

Following closely the appointment of Dwight F. Davis '00 as Secretary of War to succeed John W. Wecks, comes the announcement that the new Assistant Secretary of War is Colonel Hanford McNider '11. Colonel McNider left his home in Iowa immediately after receiving the news of his appointment, and will take his oath of office after his arrival in the Capitol.

His recommendation for the office was received by President Coolidge from Senator Cummins of Iowa and was endorsed by Secretary Davis and many prominent American Legion friends.

Colonel McNider has a distinguished army career behind him, has been active in the American Legion of which he was National Commander in 1922, and has been a successful banker in Mason city, Iowa, since resigning from the army at the close of the Great War. The new assistant saw service on the Mexican border in 1916, and in 1917 went to France as a second lieutenant in the A. E. F. reaching the grade of lieutenantcolonel by the end of the war. He was wounded in action at St. Mihiel and decorated three times for bravery.