CORNELL BEATS SOCCER TEAM BY SMALL MARGIN

Red and White 1-0 Verdict Over University Players in First League Contest

In the first Intercollegiate League soccer game of the season, the Cornell eleven defeated the University team at Ithaca on Saturday 1 to 0.

The game was closely contested throughout, the lone tally being put over early in the game by Captain Bowdish, center-forward on the Cornell team. The defeat is the first one suffered at the hands of Cornell in four years.

Cornell's victory was something in the nature of an upset, the Crimson's team of veterans being conceded superior to the New York team. The defense of the University team was the feature of the game. T.R. Wickersham '26 and H.S. Gans '27 repeatedly stopping the Cornell forwards before they could penetrate to the fullbacks. Captain J.A. Mackinnon '27, playing his first game at the fullback post, also stood out in the scrimmages before the University's goal.

Complete failure of the University's forward to cooperate and their total back of sustained pressure enabled the Cornell goalguard to enjoy a quiet afternoon.

The Summary: Harvard  Cornell Thomas g.  g. Dake Tarnowsky r.f.b.  r.f.b. Ivanhoff Mackinnon l.f.b.  l.f.b. Mann Rubin, Gans, r.h.b.  r.h.b. Chapman Wickersham l.h.b.  l.h.b. Coukonogy Brooks c.h.b.  c.h.b. Bammon Daniclian, Fordyee i.l  i.l. Bacon Driggs 0.l  e.l. Shaw Trevvett, Danielian c.f.  e.f. Bowdish Crooks i.r.  i.r. Mccrohan Gherardi o.r.  e.r. Kriegen

Score, Cornell 1. Harvard 0 Goal Bowdish. Referee, Frank Bonifaco Time, four 32 minute periods.