RARE HARVARDIANA ON EXHIBITION IN WIDENER

AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF SHEPARD IS INCLUDED IN DISPLAY

Harvardiana dealing with the period from the founding of the College up to the last century are now on exhibit in the Treasure Room of the Widener Library.

"In point of rarity," says the latest issue of the Alumni Bulletin, discussing the collection, "the most interesting of the books is the battered volume entitled 'Downamo's Christian Warfare', the only book definitely known to have been in the possession of John Harvard. This copy was also in the College Library before the fire of 1764 when all the other John Harvard books were destroyed.

Dunster's Bible to Be Seen

"Among the other books of early Harvard associations are an original manuscript autobiography of Thomas Shepard, minister in Cambridge when the College was founded and until 1649. This book is loaned by the Shepard Historical society of Cambridge. One page of it catches the eye:

.... 'The Lord put it into the hart of one Mr. Harvard, who dyed woorth 1600 pounds, to give halfe his estate to the erecting of the schoole. The man was a scholar and plous in his life and enlarged toward the country and the good of it in life and death.'

There is the copy of President Dunster's Hebrew and Greek Bible, printed by Plantin in Antwerp in 1573-74, and used by him during the presidency of Harvard College from 1640 to 1654. His bookplate, in Greek, is pasted at the foot of the title page and is dated 1633, indicating that it was printed while he was still in residence in the University of Cambridge. The Bible was presented to the Library in 1841 by the Misses Dunster, daughters of Rev. Isaiah Dunster, of the class of 1741, a great grandson of Henry Dunster, the first president of the College. Another volume of age and significance is called 'New England's First Fruits', 1643, which contains the first printed account of the foundation of the College and the first mention in print of John Harvard's name.

Students Listed by Social Rank

"The Faculty records from 1725 to 1752, in longhand, give an interesting list of the Freshmen in 1734 as 'placed' by the Faculty in the order of their parents' social rank. A volume containing photographic similies of documents relating to the facts of John Harvard's life includes that of the marriage of John Harvard and Anne Sadler of Ringmer, April 19, 1636. The record is taken from the Parish Register, South Malling."

Investigation shows the indifferent attitude of the Colonies towards Harvard College and its president in the earliest stages of its existence.

Charles Chauncy, second president of the College holding office from 1654 to 1671, presents his "many grievances and temptations" before the General Court, stating "that his salary was not sufficient for the comfortable supply of his family with necessary food and raiment; that provision for the President was not suitable, being without land to keep either a horse or a cow upon, or habitation to be dry or warm in; whereas, in English University, the President is allowed diet, as well as stepend, and other necessary provisions, according to his wants."

The committee of the General Court on this petition report that "they conceive the country have done honorably towards the petitioner, and that his parity with English Colleges is not pertinent."

Deputies Grant Salary Increase

A better spirit was, however, displayed by the Deputies, who noncon-curred the report of the committee, and voted that he should receive, out of the public treasury, five pounds a quarter. On a reference of this vote to the magistrates for their consent, they ordered to be inscribed upon it simply. "The magistrates consent not thereto."

President Chauney had then passed his seventieth year, and continued to his death, which occurred nine years afterwards, in the service of the College, odorous faithful, necessitous, and dependent."

Further items in the collection include the book of the laws of the College passed in 1665, with later additions down to 1667, a contemporary official copy of which belonged to Presidents Chauney and Hoar, the second and third Presidents of the College, respectively; a small note book once the property of Richard Waldrom of the class of 1738, in which he had inscribed the laws of the College adopted in 1735 and a number of the College customs of the time. It contains a quaint note on religion:

"All persons of what degree soever, residing at College, and all undergraduates whether dwelling in the College or in the town shall constantly and seasonably attend the worship of God in the hall morning and evening.