CUSTOMS AND CABINET MAKERS

In a country where only oil can cause a member of the cabinet to slide in or out, the inniability of French cabinets is a constant wonder. So there is considerable worry on the part of some people who were put a case by the Peace of Locarno when they find the resilient M. Calleux bouncing forth from the chair of destiny. Yet to them one can only commend remembrance of the many times that French cabinets have been made and remade since the beginning of Post War ministries. In fact to the careful observer, and an American should be that, nothing more, it seems that changing cabinets is as much a French custom as changing style. A critical, nation with the power of an administrative whimey France is able to keep her seats of the might warm from friction And, it is apparent that she is content to do so.

However, the real gesture of peace with which the gentlemen at Locarno started their world must not become futile through the internal troubles of country cabinets. Germany and France are both at least careless of their own interest if they do not enjoy peace at home as well as abroad. But that they will is obvious, for both realize the need of continuing as sane as they appeared at Locarno. The time has evidently come when peace is economically necessary among the nations of Europe. For the benefit of less flexible minds the time should come when cabinet peace is also economically necessary. The American citizen cannot endure mercurial movements, nor can his stocks.