MANY BOOKS BY HARVARD MEN APPEAR THIS MONTH

University Press to Publish Kenneth B. Murdock's Life of Increase Mather, Colonial Harvard Puritan

Included in the University Press' autumn announcement of 28 volumes, some of which have been published already this fall and the remaining numbers of which will be ready before November 1, are several important works by Harvard men.

Against the background of early Massachusetts, and the London of James II and William III and the early life of the colonies, Kenneth Ballard Murdock '16, Instructor in English at the University, has formed his biography, "Increase Mather, The Foremost American Puritan." Mr. Murdock's volume is a fully documented vindication of the stern old Puritan's character. The story of his connection with Harvard College in its earliest years is fully told. This book will be published October 10.

Essays of Montalgne Translated

Another work, which will be published sometime this month, is a new translation of the "Essays of Montaigne" by the publication of Mr. Ive's new work, in four volumes, the fruit of years of labor and effort, is the first new American translation of the famous French essayist to be published in 255 years. Although Charles Cotton's translation of 1670 has been changed greatly in its subsequent editions, it has still remained unsatisfactory for modern use. With the publication of Mr. Ives' new work, there will at last be adequate and up-to-date interpretation of both the style and content of Montaigne.

Conyers Read '03, recently Professor of History in the University of Chicago, is the author of "Mr. Secretary Walsingham and the Policy of Queen Elizabeth," a work of great historic value. In this story of the life of Elizabeth's second great minister, Sir Francis Walsingham, a patron of the arts and advocate of oversees expansion, Mr. Read has publication during the present month, of the most intriguing corners of English history.

The third of a series of treatments of various subjects in the field of art, titled "Art Studies, III" will be released October 15. This volume is edited by members of the Department of Fine Arts at Harvard and Princeton Universities.