TIGERS HAVE LONG WAY TO GO

Forward Passing Expected to Feature Princeton Attack

Princeton, N. J.--October 7, 1925--Since September 15 a large squad, including nine veterans from last year and a promising group from the 1928 eleven, has been working out under Coach Roper, who has sent the candidates through his usual early drill in the fundamentals. Of the men, 50 have been retained for the present on the University squad, while the rest have been sent to Coach Poe to make up his famous "Omelettes," or scrubs. A separate squad of those who were not fortunate enough to be included in these groups is also hard at work in charge of Coach Foster.

Two elevens have been picked, whose composition varies from day to day. Against Amherst last Saturday the second eleven was used to start the game, while the first-string warriors did not get into action until the second quarter, Amherst following suit with the same tactics. The two elevens that lined up against the Purple were as follows; first team; Captain McMillan, center; Baldwin and Crago, guards. Gates and Rosengarten, tackles; Jeffers and Moeser, ends; Caulkins, Gilligan, Slagle and Dignan, backs;, Second Team: Lea and Bartell, ends; Meislahn and French, tackles; Blake and Keith, guards; Hobson, center; Chandler, Prendergast, Booth, and Bridges, backs.

Wing Positions Badly Fortified

The weak point of the team is without doubt the wing positions. The five ends who were used in 1924 all graduated last June, and men are being shifted from other positions to meet this difficulty. Moeser, fullback of the 1928 combination and Jeffers, a Senior, are at present Roper's choices. Bartell, who won his letter at center last fall, and Lea, from the Freshman eleven, are giving them a hard fight.

Plenty of good tackles and guards are available. The veterans include Gates, one of the fastest men on the squad, Rosengarten, Baldwin, whose deadly tackling made him a star on Saturday, and Crago, from the 1928 team, who was out of the game a large part of last year on account of injuries. French and Blake, among the Sophomores, have been doing well, while the other two worthy of mention are Keith and Meislahn, who are Juniors.

In the backfield there is a wealth of material this department appearing especially strong on the defense. Slagle, who was selected by the late Walter Camp for his second All-American lineup last fall, appears to be the best of the lot. With the huddle system again in vogue, he is calling signals in place of Captain Stout. An accurate passer, a brilliant runner, a fine drop-kicker, and a good punter, he is a genuine quadruple threat man. Dignan, a kicker and line plunger, Caulkins, and Gilligan make up the rest of the backfield. Bridges, the diminutive Virginian from the 1928 eleven, may force his way into this combination before long. He showed up unusually well as an interference man and line plunger Saturday.

The other available letter men are Ewing, the drop-kicker, and Weeks, a fine line plunger. Chandler, Prendergast, and Booth are three other experienced backs, while Disston appears to be the best of the others from last year's Freshman eleven. The schedule follows:

October 10, Washington and Lee; October 17, Navy, at Baltimore; October 24, Colgate; October 31, Swarthmore; November 7, Harvard; November 14, Yale, at New Haven