WORK WILL BEGIN ON NEW CAGE IN SPRING

New Cage to Be Considerably Larger Than Present One--Rumor Still Rife About New Swimming Pool

The completion of a new baseball cage on Soldiers Field by next September was predicted yesterday by Major F. W. Moore '93, graduate treasurer of the Athletic Association.

Hesitation over deciding upon a site has held up the construction of the cage, just as it has prevented any action being taken on the erection of a new University swimming pool.

Offer Over Two Years Old

The offer to build a new baseball cage was made two and a half years ago, in May, 1923. The donor has desired to remain anonymous. A year ago last spring plans were made to build the cage at the western end of the old tennis courts, near the stables. Lines were drawn there and posts erected.

It was found, however, that the cage could not be built there. At the desired spot the gravel covering the ground is 25 feet deep, making it impractical to build a large structure on it. There was also considerable opposition to putting the cage so far from the Locker Building.

Work to Be Started Next Spring

The site where the cage will probably be built is outside the open end of the Stadium, covering a number of the tennis courts at the eastern end. The donor and engineer were ready to start work this autumn, but lack of definite word from the Planning Board will keep the cage from being started until next spring. It was also considered that work this fall would be in the way of the crowds attending the important football games.

The new baseball cage is to be 160 feet square, considerably larger than the present cage. The latter was built about 30 years ago by the University.

New Pool Is Still in Air

Several sites have been proposed for the new swimming pool, but as yet the Planning Board has reached no decision and the corporation has not yet voted for its erection. For years the University has been without a swimming team because the Big Tree pool, which was acquired only a few years ago, is not large enough. When Harvard did have an aquatic team it used the Cambridge and Boston Y. M. C. A. tanks.

Major Moore, who has long been advocating the erection of an adequate swimming pool, is confident that action will soon be taken and that a new tank will be built in the near future.