RAISING THE DICKENS

The immortal novelist who once aroused censure and reproach in the United States for drawing American character with too great exactitude in "Martin Chuzzlewit" has met a similar fate in England. In the Yarmouth town council, it was proposed to name certain highways, Copperfield Avenue, Steerforth Avenue. Peggoty Road, and Barkis Road. One of the more stalwart of the councillors, Jack Salmon, fish salesman by trade, condemned Barkis as a "silly old pup" and a "drunken rascal with a red nose". He spared Steerforth his denunciation only because he did not know the gentleman's reputation.

A lively debate followed in which Dickens' immortal characters were discussed with the mud slinging of a political campaign. One would have thought that Steerforth was even then continuing his evil ways and that Barkis still pursued his trade of carrier. It is a tribute to the influence of the better element of the town that Mr. Salmon was at last convinced of Barkis rectitude and sobriety.

With puritanic prudence, the council felt they could not name a street after the rakish Steerforth. "Tis a pity, for what more appropriate designation could be found for some dark lane on the outskirts of the town. Although Steerforth must remain in Yarmouthian oblivion, the other characters will be immortalized on street corners. The councillors may well be satisfied with their work. In one stroke, they have protected public morals and preserved the memory of Dickens.