FOUNDATION OFFERS $5000 PRIZE

Business School Men Given Chance to Win Large Sum for Critical Essay

Students of the Business School and any others interested in Economics have been offered a prize of five thousand dollars, to be given by the Pollak Foundation for Economic Research for the best adverse criticism of a book "Profits," by William Trufant Foster '01 and Waddill Catchings '01.

Though it has been pointed out that authors do not always welcome adverse criticism, in this case the writers wish to build on whatever is sound in their book, and desire to find out, as soon as possible, the worst that can be said about their theories. The authors are graduates both of the College, and of graduate schools at the University. Mr. Catchings took his degree at the Law School in 1904 and Mr. Foster received an A. M. degree from the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences in the same year.

The judges who will award the prize for the best essay have been announced as follows: Allyn A. Young, Professor of Economics at Harvard, and President of the American Economic Association: Owen D. Young, Chairman of the Board of Directors of the General Electric Company, and Wesley C. Mitchell, of Columbia University.

Essays should be submitted to the Pollak Foundation, Newton 58, before January 1, 1927. The book may be obtained in any public library.