BOB FISHER

Saturday's game saw the last appearance of Robert T. Eisher as Head Coach of Harvard football. The student body suspected it, the team knew it, before the opening kick-off. Harvard took up its burden against Yale with the hope of rising to justify this man's trust.

And although through seven years of coaching Fisher has bowed to Yale only twice, although he has produced great teams, and those which approached greatness, it is not the coach so much as the man that-Harvard regrets to lose.

Perhaps in recent defeat it was an automaton whom the graduates wanted, a machine to produce for them winning teams, whatever the cost. Unable to keep faith under the change of fortune, they joined their voices with those of the outsiders who clamored for a great professional system at Harvard, for a coach to beat victory out of his players. They must have forgotten in the disappointment of the moment what Fisher had previously accomplished when such success was taken for granted.

And yet, win or lose no word of protest ever came from the players themselves. If defeat crowned their efforts in place of victory, it was their fault and the fault of Harvard. They knew better than the outside world the man for whom they were staking Harvard's football reputation. Such confidence is the greatest tribute that a coach can receive. It is of the stuff which raises lost hopes and sends a team against Yale which will not be beaten.