TIBBETTS RACES TO NEW TRACK LAURELS

Syracuse and Pittsburgh Capture First and Second--Luttman Surprises When He Crosses Line Fifth

W. L. Tibbetts '26, Captain of the University cross-country team, led the entire field in the I. C. A. A. A. A. meet yesterday, setting a new record for the Van Courtlandt Park course in New York, where the race was held. His time was 30 minutes, 31 seconds, or 53 seconds better than the record run last year by M. L. Smith of Yale.

In spite of the excellent work of Captain Tibbetts, Harvard netted only third place in the ranking, with a score of 130. A uniformly strong turnout from Syracuse captured first place, with 47 points, and Pittsburgh scored second with 87.

Tibbetts Noses Out Loucks

The race between Tibbetts and Loucks of Syracuse, was a close one the whole length of the course and until the finish a very uncertain one. It was the Crimson leader who crossed the line a bare three yards in the lead, with Hillman of Maine, the nearest competitor to the two, 75 yard behind.

A Pittsburgh man, contrary to expectation, was the next to finish after Hillman. This was Kerr, a man of no great experience, and a new addition to the Pittsburgh squad; yet he outran his veteran teammates Corbett and Howell by several places.

R. G. Luttman '28 was the fifth runner to arrive, making the last low score for Harvard. Though his running throughout the season has been excellent, he has generally ceded second place to E. C. Haggerty '27. Yesterday, however, he exceeded all expectations, and won over the nearest Crimson competitor by 27 places.

Corbett of Pittsburgh placed sixth, and two Syracuse men. Bill and Rupert, followed in quick succession.

The ninth arrival was a Penn State man, Glenn, but lack of support from his team made a good record for Penn impossible. Bates also was represented by one good runner, Wills, but fell short in supplying four more low scorers.

Haggerty trailed in thirty-second place for Harvard, followed by Edward Gordon '27 at 41, and J. N. Watters '26 at 51.