CHANCE TO STUDY DRAMA GIVEN TO HARVARD MEN

MEETING ON FRIDAY WILL OPEN NEW WORKSHOP

A Boston workshop for instruction in the dramatic arts, similar in its completeness to that of Professor George Pierce Baker '87 at Yale, is to be started this week in connection with the Jewett Repertory Theatre, it was announced last night.

Harvard students are invited to attend the opening meeting to be held Friday afternoon at 4 o'clock in Repertory Hall, when details of the Workshop will be announced and repertory theatre work discussed. Among the speakers secured for the discussion are several familiar to followers of the drama. Francis Wilson, known as the dean of the American stage, will preside, and two of the speakers are Henry Jewett, President of the Repertory Company and head of the Workshop, and George Arliss, of international reputation as an actor.

Play Writing to Be Encouraged

The quarters for the Workshop have been established in the new Repertory Theatre, and students of the Workshop will be continually in touch with work in progress at the theatre. Under the direction of Miss Angela Morris, playwriting will be carried on, and as often as possible, plays written in the shop will be put on in the monthly production of the students. When none of these plays are on hand, however, other short plays will be produced in a small auditorium designed for the purpose.

Lightng will be under the management of Jonel Jorgulesco, who will also have charge of scenic effects and costume designing. Mr. Jorgulesco has been studying in Germany under Sievert and Reinbardt. Diction, phonetics and special training in Shakespeare will be in the care of Misses Lenore Chippendale and Agnes Elliott Scott. Miss Lilla Wyman will give instruction in ballet and pantomime, and Eric Kalphurst in sight-reading and make-up. Mr. Will Ghere is to be dean of the play-producing department.

College Schedules to Be Recognized

Harvard students will be given special opportunity for work in any of these departments, and in fixing schedules due consideration of academic work will be taken.

Besides the production of monthly plays before the department, in which students will take the leading roles, there will be at all times minor parts in the company's regular productions which will be open to trial by the students.

There will also be in rehearsal four large plays, which are to be kept ready for production at any time during the year. This sort of play will be on the order of those given by the Moscow Art Theatre.

At present there are 15 Harvard students appearing in the village dances, the Hendrix Hudson ten-pin scene, and the village scene of "Rip Van Winkle," now on at the Repertory Theatre.