TEAM PLAYS HAVERFORD IN SOCCER SWAN SONG

HARVARD MUST WIN TO KEEP OUT OF CELLAR POSITION

This afternoon at 3 o'clock the University soccer team will play Haverford in their final Intercollegiate Soccer League contest. The game this afternoon comes rather as an anti-climax following last week's ding-dong tie battle with Yale. Neither the University nor Yale can win the league title, but the outcome of today's match may settle both the leadership and the cellar position in the final standing of the rival soccer outfits.

Haverford Near Crown

Haverford and Princeton are engaged in a nip and tuck race for the league leadership, while the University and Yale are both trying to force each other to accept the position at the bottom of the ladder.

Haverford, today's Soldiers Field visitor, has yet to taste defeat, and in the opening game of the season battled Princeton, present leader and a strong favorite, to a 2-2 draw. Princeton has already beaten the Blue and Red of Pennsylvania, and if Haverford accomplishes the same feat and succeeds in beating the University today, Princeton and Haverford will be tied for the title. In this case a play-off will be necessary.

Crimson Is Under-Dog

Previous records show little hope for the Crimson today. With the exception of last week's tie with the Elis, this fall has brought a succession of soccer reverses to the eleven which, at the start of the season, because of veteran material, was considered a title contender. Haverford has beaten both Cornell and Yale, while the University lost to Cornell 0-1, and barely succeeded in playing a no decision affair with Yale. Haverford tied Princeton, while the Tigers routed Harvard three weeks ago.

In spite of the gloom that these figures threw over the Crimson's chances today, close followers of the sport refused to count the battle already lost. The Cambridge offense has shown increasing signs of power and, strengthened by the confidence gained in the uphill struggle against the Bulldog, the Crimson booters may upset the Pennsylvania invaders plans.

No changes are expected in Coach A. T. White's line-up, and the same eleven that faced Yale will in all likelihood face Haverford today.