TIGERS FACE CRIMSON WITH MEDIOCRE RECORD

Princeton Has Won Three Games--Tied Navy, Lost to Colgate--Weekes Out With Injury

A little more than a month ago, Coach W. W. Roper of the Princeton eleven stated, in the Princeton way mentors have, that the Tigers would win only three games this season. If he was right; then both Harvard and Yale are due to triumph over the Orange and Black on the next two Saturdays. So far this season Princeton has won three of its five games.

Amherst, Washington and Lee, and Swarth more have been the victims of Coach Roper's eleven, but the Tiger's record is not so unimpressive as it appears at first sight. The Annapolis eleven, strong in spite of the overwhelming defeat it suffered at the hands of Michigan last Saturday, was held to a tie by Princeton, and the only team to defeat the Tigers has been Colgate, unbeaten so far this season.

At the beginning of the year Princeton's prospects were none too rosy. A large amount of excellent backfield material was on hand, but in the line and especially at the ends the outlook was doubtful. It was a rather shaky Princeton eleven that was prepared to face Amherst in the opening contest of the season on October 3.

Passing Beats Amherst

Springing a surprise by taking a leaf from the Notre Dame book, Coach Roper sent his complete second eleven against Amherst. The Massachusetts outfit retaliated by putting its own substitutes into the field and holding the Tiger scoreless for the first period. In the second quarter the first elevens went into the game and for a time Amherst, which is the strongest small college team in New England, outplayed Princeton.

Only by a swift and sure forward passing attack, with Slagle doing the tossing, was Princeton able to win in the second half. Completing seven out of nine passes, the Tigers finally triumphed, 20 to 0, but the score does not show how evenly the teams were matched.

The playing of Slagle, whose brilliance was the outstanding feature of Princeton's overwhelming victory in the Stadium last November, was the brightest spot of the Amherst contest. It was evident that the Princeton attack would be built once again around this flashy halfback. The became even clearer the following week.

Washington and Lee brought a fast and peppery team across the Delaware and gave Princeton a stiff battle which was marred by a high wind and many fumbles. The Generals took the lead in the first period, 6 to 2, when Rauber's line plunging was too much for the Orange and Black forwards. Then Slagle, who with the other first string backs had not started the game, was rushed into action and the Princeton offensive started. Ten of Slagle's 12 forward passes were successful, and the final figures found the Tigers on top 15 to 6.

The game was disappointing to Princeton supporters, and the outlook for the Navy game was not bright. A complete shakeup occurred in the line. Captain McMillan was the only man to remain a regular, and he was shifted to Crago's position at guard, with Bartell, who had been playing end early in the season, coming in to the center position. Gates, veteran tackle who had started every game for two seasons, was relegated to the substitute ranks.

The breaks were with Princeton when the Tigers battled to a 10-10 tie against Annapolis on October 17. Again Slagle led the Orange and Black attack, but he met his match in Shapley, brilliant Navy carrier. Princeton's touchdown was made by Caulkins, who intercepted a Navy pass and raced 93 yards for a touchdown. This score, with a field goal by Ewing, put Captain McMillan's men in the lead, 10 to 3, with the final period half over; but then Shapley of the Navy caught a pass and ran 55 yards for the tying touchdown.

Although Princeton was outplayed by Annapolis, the tie score was very encouraging and high hopes were entertained for victory over Colgate's great eleven.

Colgate Defeats Tigers

Princeton met defeat at the hands of Colgate on October 24, 9 to 0. The game was played in the rain and both Slagle and Tryon, great Colgate back, were badly hampered by the wet field. The teams were very evenly matched and there was no scoring until the last period. The Princeton line was greatly improved, and held Tryon in check until the closing minutes.

Last Saturday Princeton topped Swarthmore without great difficulty, thus winning the third of the victories Roper predicted before the season started. With Gates back in splendid form the Princeton line is improved, and the backfield strong although Weekes is probably out of the Harvard game with injuries sustained last Saturday. Princeton and Harvard both will be after their fourth victory of the season next Saturday