Lampy Turns Crusading Energy From Radcliffe Maidens to "Social Freshmen" Who Seek Gay Lights of Boston

Having just brought one social conflict to a hasty conclusion, the intrepid Harvard Lampoon launches forth upon another in its current issue in which it attacks in jocose but vigorous style the "social Freshmen" who have been attending Boston dances in alarmingly large number of late.

For many years it has been a Boston tradition that Freshmen should not be invited to debutante dances. Of late, however, hostesses have been departing from this rule, to the consequent alarm of the parents of Freshmen, the Dean's office, and the Lampoon. Lampy's protest is given in part below:

"A most lamentable occurrence was called to our attention the other day. It appears that a few seniors, on pleasure bent, made a desperate effort to attend one such affair. What consternation must have been theirs, to find the roadway filled with freshman Rolls-Royces and Fords (the latter vastly in the majority!) Conceive their disappointment when the hall was found crammed with freshman dilettante, seeking like moths the gay light of Boston's social whirl. Imagine their despair upon finding the punchbowl completely emptied by the thirsty lads from Gore!

"Not many years ago, thinks Lampy, there would have been a small committee to insert the too-terpsichorean freshman gently in his hansom cab, and start him firmly on the long, slow drive to Cambridge. The old order changeth, but Lampy wishes merely to caution, and advise moderation to the many popular stalwarts by the Charles."