MILITARY SCIENCE

The two views of what military science teaches, printed in another column of this paper, differ chiefly in their opinions of what constitutes a good citizen. Both men are quite agreed that military science as it is now taught produces soldiers, but while Mr. Lane contends that it also develops a militaristic spirit, Colonel Browning declares that the ultimate purpose is to produce good citizens.

Although Colonel Browning states explicitly that "the main function of the military man is to keep out of war", the newspapers constantly carry exhortations by military men urging greatly increased military expenditures. The American Legion has offended particularly in this respect, although it is possible that had they taken a course in military science they would have been less belligerent. The psychology of calling military science "training for citizenship" is becoming all too successful.

Some of the courses offered by the military science department are both interesting and instructive, but it is a question whether a knowledge of the gas engine and the internal economy of a horse makes for better citizens. Furthermore, the whole tendency of military training is to discourage independent thinking. And if ever a university wishes to live up to its name, it ought to foster instead of discourage independent thought. Mr. Lane seems to have the sounder view of what constitutes good citizenship.