UNFAVORABLE

The Boston American: "Just what Harvard intends to do in a football way always seems to stir up a big rumpus. After all, whatever Harvard does, football will still be the Greatest game in the world."

The Syracuse (N. Y.) Post-Standard: "The great expense of athletics causes concern in many colleges. . . . The Harvard Crimson regrets the emphasis placed on football. Inasmuch as the curtailing of football is the curtailing of the chief producer of revenue in college athletics, the Crimson advocates the endowment of athletics, as well as instruction. . . . This plan would not be popular. . . . Where the public is eager to pay, the trustees would not have much enthusiasm in searching for an endowment."

The Providence (R. I.) News: "We shall not trust very strongly in Harvard's leadership of the cause (to reduce over-emphasis of football) until after a season when the Cambridge men shall have defeated Princeton by twenty and Yale by forty points."

The Springfield (Mass.) Union: "Before the Crimson can hope to stir up any very widespread support for its innovation it will have to answer . . . two most pertinent questions. In the first place, how many undergraduates at Harvard and at the other large universities agree with the Crimson? Secondly, to what extent have these revolutionary proposals emanating from Cambridge been influenced by Harvard's poor showing in football this year?"

The Holyoke (Mass.) Transcript: "Harvard and also Yale had better forget their radical changes, as it were, and brace up. Be good losers, for they give every evidence of being poor sports, or the name of fair Harvard and Eli Yale will be dragging down in the dust."

The Ansonia (Conn.) Centinel: "To its plan (the Harvard Crimson's) Tad Jones opposes this earnest enconium of football: 'I believe in football . . . as a developer of manhood, as a developer of all the qualities we admire. . . I hope the time will never come when the time devoted to football at Yale will be any less than it is today.' This is a sufficient reason to both the critics and the meddlers."