NATIONAL MEETING TO DISCUSS FOOTBALL

Pennypacker, Worcester, Kelly Other Representatives--Limited Practice and Shorter Schedule Topics

Tentative resolutions, calling for the limitation of the football game schedule and spring training, the abolition of athletic scholarships, and the encouragement of intramural and interclass games, have been sent out by the Council of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, to the delegates who will attend the annual conference of this body, at the Hotel Astor, New York City, on December 30.

Four Harvard Representatives

Major F. W. Moore '92, Graduate Treasurer of the Harvard Athletic Association and member of the Council of the convening body, will represent Harvard, together with Henry Pennypacker '88, Chairman of the Committee on Athletics, Dr. Alfred Worcester '78, Professor of Hygiene, and Mr. Daniel J. Kelly, Assistant Director of Physical Education. The last two will represent the University at the meeting of the Society of Directors of Physical Education in Colleges. Other organizations which will hold separate meetings during the Conference are the American Student Health Association, and the National Amateur Athletic Federation.

The purpose of the tentative resolutions which embody the main points of the CRIMSON and Wesleyan Conference plans, is to facilitate the discussion of means for the prevention of further professionalism affecting intercollegiate football. The delegates have been asked, with these resolutions in mind, to come to the Conference prepared to give constructive criticism on these proposed remedies.

Aimed Against Professionalism

The resolutions, which are purely tentative, have been worded in the following manner: "Whereas, intercollegiate football has become so popularized and commercialized as seriously to affect the chief educational purposes of the colleges; Whereas, history and experience teach that healthful, recreational, competitive sports, die when afflicted with professionalism; Whereas, promoters of professional football have this fall for the first time induced undergraduates to leave college for the purpose of participating in professional games; now therefore let it be resolved. That the educational institutions of this country be urged to unite and combat these tendencies to overemphasize and professionalize their competitive athletics.

"(a) By limiting pre-season training; (b) by limiting the number of intercollegiate games; (c) by limiting the number of games in other college stadia; (d) by abolishing the so-called athletic scholarships and improper proselyting; (e) by encouraging intramural and interclass games.

"Moreover, that coaches, trainers, and all men connected in any way with intercollegiate teams, shall not be employed, who encourage professionalism in any form."

A debate which has been worded. "Resolved. That the Amateur Law be enforced in all intercollegiate athletic competitions", has been arranged. The affirmative will be upheld by Major J. L. Griffith, director of the Western Conference, who has been one of the fore most opponents to undergraduates leaving colleges for professional ranks in the Middle West.