BOSTON LATIN WINS ADMISSIONS AWARD

Taft, in Second Place, Sent Two to Cambridge--Rating Based on Highest Seven Candidates for Admission

Boston Latin School, of which Patrick T. Campbell '93 is headmaster, this year won the Harvard Interscholastic Scholarship, awarded annually to the school whose candidates make the best record at the admission examinations.

Boston Latin is the first school to have its name engraved on the present trophy, the original one having been retired after a ten-year's competition by the Springfield Central High School. Central High won the scholastic championship for the required fourth time last year.

The prize is offered annually to the school that presents the best team of seven candidates, regardless of the number of pupils actually taking the examinations for admission, and regardless of the college or colleges to which these seven are admitted.

Latin School Sent 96

Ninety-six boys entered the University with the class of 1929 from Boston Latin, a quota of almost one-tenth the total number of the entering class. The weighted average, based on the score made by the seven highest candidates from Boston Latin, was 89.12 per cent. Taft School, of Watertown, Connecticut, was second with a weighted average of 88.35 per cent. Only two members of the Taft team, however, entered Harvard this fall.

Of the 81 Honor Freshmen, their rating being computed from entrance examinations alone, 24 are from Boston Latin, Exeter, with 22 honor men is second in the totals, while Middlesex, with five representatives on the list, captures third place. The following schools also placed men on the honor list: Andover, 4; Cambridge Latin School, 2; English High School of Boston, 2; St. Pauls Academy of Minnesota, 2.

The following placed one name each on the list for honors: Boston Country Day, Browne and Nichols, Chestnut Hill School of Philadelphia, Columbia High School of East Orange, Groton, Hartford High School, The Hill, Hotchkiss, Kent, Milton Academy, Riverdale Country School of New York, Roxbury Latin School, St. Marks, St. Pauls of Concord, N. H. Thatcher School of California, and Williston.