CURTAIN RINGS UP ON 1929 HOCKEY SEASON

SCHEDULE OPENS WITH BROWNE AND NICHOLS

Candidates for this year's Freshman hockey team will have their first meeting tomorrow evening in Smith Halls Common Room at 7 o'clock. Coach J. H. Dempsey '24, Thayer Cumings '26, captain of the University sextet, and Manager Woodworth will speak. The first practice is to be held on Wednesday at the Arena. Assistant Manager candidates will be called out 8.30 tomorrow morning at the H. A. A.

Coach Dempsey is hoping to produce as powerful a combination as last year, when the team went through its schedule undefeated.

Prospects Bright

Prospects for the team are extremely bright, although N. S. Clifford and Peter Baldwin, former captains at Milton and St. Paul's, respectively, are ineligible. Foremost among the candidates are three members of last year's Milton team which held the 1928 skaters to a tie. They are T. S. Kernan, goal-tender; J. L. Cunningham and E. T. Putnam, Jr., forwards. These three men were all on the Freshman eleven this fall. John Tudor, last year's St. Mark's captain, and M. N. Stanley of Browne and Nichols are other players likely to figure in this year's Freshman games.

Practice this year will usually take place at the Charlesbank Rinks, the Boston Arena being used only when the ice on the Charlesbank is unfit for hockey. For the major games, the Arena will also be used. The first practice will be held on Wednesday, and further details will be given out at the meeting tomorrow.

The schedule, released by Assistant Manager Howard Slade, is as follows:

January 3, Browne and Nichols; 16, S. Mark's at Southboro; 27, Milton at Milton. February 3, Cambridge Latin; 6, Exeter at Exeter; 10, Andover; 17, Newton High; 20, Dartmouth '29 at the Arena; 22, St. Paul's (tentative); 27, Yale at the Arena.