HUGE FRESHMAN TURNOUT USHERS IN 1929 HOCKEY

UNIVERSITY SQUAD REDUCED TO THIRTY PLAYERS

Sixty-two men reported to Coach J. H. Dempsey '24, at the meeting of Freshman hockey aspirants in Smith Halls Common Room last evening.

Manager Kennard Woodworth '26 opened the meeting, After warning the men of the regulations and explaining the precautions to be taken in equipment and the like, he introduced Coach Dempsey, who for the past two seasons has turned out undefeated Freshman teams.

Cuts To Be Made Before Xmas

Coach Dempsey pointed out the stiffness of the schedule, which includes almost all the powerful school sextets in this vicinity, besides the Dartmouth and Yale Freshman combinations. It is planned to spend the remaining time before Christmas, cutting down the University squad and organizing the material for the first game to be played with Browne and Nichols immediately after the holidays.

Dormitory teams are to be organized after Christmas and a regular schedule will be drawn up. Tentative teams were made up last night. An unusually large percentage of defense men reported, over half the total number of candidates. There were eight goalguards, 20 forwards, and 34 defense men.

The University squad held no practice yesterday, but will resume its activity again in preparation for the opening games. The squad has been cut to 30 men, comprising three goaltenders 17 forwards and ten defense men.