STANDISH WINS FRESHMAN WRESTLING TOURNAMENT

GORE TAKES SECOND PLACE WITH SMITH THIRD

Standish Hall captured the Freshman Interdormitory Wrestling Championship yesterday with a total of 21 points after a very close tournament. Gore Hall was far behind the winner, with a score of 14, while the Smith Halls trailed with nine points.

The competition was close and some of the wrestling exhibited was of a high order. Two bouts were won by falls, one by Richard McSweeny of Standish and the other by T. D. Howe of Smith in the 158 and 175-pound classes. The latter won a fall in the short time of one minute and 40 seconds from F. A. Webster of Gore. McSweeny's match with F. A. Hodges of Smith provided most of the thrills of the afternoon. The two men battled hard for five minutes, but McSweeny finally downed his man by a succession of clever exhibitions of holds.

Winners Compose Freshman Lineup

The winners of the matches held yesterday will compose the 1928 lineup for the opening match of the season with Andover, next Saturday, February 14. E. A. Dashoff will be the Crimson representative in the 115-pound class. The other men will be: C. C. Goodrich in the 125-pound, M. M. Green in the 135-pound, C. C. Corson in the 145-pound, Richard McSweeny in the 158-pound, T. D. Howe in the 178-pound and S. S. Wilson in the unlimited class.

In conjunction with the freshman matches yesterday, some of the preliminary trials were held for the University wrestling team which will face Norwich in the third match of the season on February 14. In the 135-pound class H. M. Kullman '27 defeated L. B. Smith '25 by decision. H. G. Dorman '26 won by a fall from H. B. Molholm '26 in the 145-pound class. Today two more preliminary trials will be run off and on Wednesday the finals in all classes will take place.

The Interdormitory summary:

One hundred and fifteen-pound class, Won by E. A. Dashoff, Gore over I. N. Hoffman, Gore, on a decision.

One hundred and twenty-five-pound class--Won by C. C. Goodrich, Standish over F. A. Kullman, Smith by default.

One hundred and thirty-five-pound class--Won by M. M. Green, Standish, over H. H. Saxton, Gore, on a decision.

One hundred and forty-five-pound class--Won by C. C. Corson, Gore, over G. T. Plakias, Standish, by default.

One hundred and fifty-eight-pound class -- Won by Richard McSweeny, Standish, over F. A. Hodges, Smith, fall in 5 minutes, 30 seconds.

One hundred and seventy-five pound class--Won by T. D. Howe, Smith, over F. A. Webster, Gore, fall in one minute 40 seconds.

Unlimited Class--Won by S. S. Wilson by default. Only entry.

The winner scored four points for a decision, five for a fall. The runner up scored two points. Final score, Standish 21, Gore 14, Smith 9.