AROUSE THE LION

In its zeal for safe-guarding the rights of property, the American Legal Association surely intends to work for the restoration of alien property confiscated in wartime. In nineteen seventeen the state department asserted that it "would not take advantage of a state of war to take possession of property to which international understandings and the recognized law of the land can give it no just claim or title". Simultaneously, several million dollars' worth of property belonging to alien enemies was seized and has since remained in governmental hands.

It is now six years since hostilities ceased; yet no steps have been taken to restore these factories and lands to their original owners. Peace has been established, but the American public and its political agents, usually so scrupulous of property rights, have entirely neglected to remedy this abuse of a war-time privilege. Senator Borah moved yesterday that restoration be made; President Coolidge has concurred. Yet it is certain that at least in this session no effort will be made to provide a cure for this injustice.

The United States has no legal title to the property. It took possession temporarily and under conditions that have long since passed away. Its handling has been subject to serious abuses and probable corruption. The time has come to restore this property to its rightful owners. Meanwhile, the critics of American democracy will be left to wonder at the elephantine slowness with which the public conscience is aroused to act in manifest cases of injustice.