SAYS PEDIGREE IS NOT CREW STANDARD

Richardson Says Graduates Will Back Crew to Limit and Cooperate With Men--Will Not Hamper Coaches

Declaring that crew at Harvard was not a sport open only to the sons of rich men, or to the socially elect, Coach Stevens launched the 1925 rowing season yesterday afternoon in Smith Halls Common Room with a vigorous speech in which he defined the exact status he felt the sport should bear in relation to athletics in the University. Over 200 students, were assembled when he began speaking.

"Ever since I came here to this University, I have been conscious of a certain lack of enthusiasm among graduates and undergraduates in rowing matters. At first I was inclined to think that it was only the grumbling of a few discontented old timers, and gave it small consideration. Later when I found that it affected more or less the student body. I began to sit up and take notice.

"Most of you are aware how malicious, insidious rumors are circulated. Someone says that the Harvard crews are on a different plan from other athletics; that the common ordinary or garden-variety of student has no place at the boathouse; and that before you can become a candidate for the Harvard crew, you must submit a certified account giving the details of your family tree to see if you are fit to associate with the rowing crowd.

"This is all bunk, as anybody connected with Harvard rowing will be only too glad to tell you. I know such conditions, have not existed during the one and one half years I have been here, and I don't believe such statements ever were true. We are not interested in who you are, but in what you are. If any one of you can show me, and me alone, that you are a better man than someone who now occupies a sea in the first boat, you will get the job.

Captain Kelley opened the meeting yesterday with a plea for all crew candidates to take their individual jobs seriously. He then introduced in order Coaches Haines and Brown, who will direct the first-year and Class crew squads respectively. Coach Haines expressed his appreciation for the spirit shown thus far by the Freshman winter rowing squad.

Mr. John Richardson '08, Chairman of the Rowing Committee was the last speaker of the afternoon. He declared himself heartily in accord with the statements Coach Stevens had made, and said that the graduates were getting behind rowing stronger every year. "We've all got to push and push hard", he said. "Graduates are not going to butt in to Harvard rowing. We're all intent on securing cooperation and we're all backing Captain Kelley to the limit." Coach Spuhr, of the 150-pound squad and Dr. Edward Harding '10, crew physician also spoke briefly