CREWS TAKE WATER AS CAMERAS CLICK

Stevens Sends Three Eights Out From Weld as Movies Are Taken--Perkins Now Stroking Second Boat

While movie cameras clicked, Coach Brown led, a crew into the Leviathan yesterday afternoon for the first workout of the season on the Charles. This is the earliest date that a University crew has ever been on the water. Coach Haines also put his entire Freshman squad through a short drill on the huge scow which was added to the Crimson equipment last year with the advent of Coach Stevens.

At four o'clock, Coach Stevens sent three eights out in barges for fifteen minute drills. Practically all of the men in the squad under Coach Steven's supervision were members of his fall rowing squad. Captain Kelley did not appear yesterday afternoon, and H. C. Pierce '27 rowed at bow in his place. The only other change in this boat from the line-up which crew X had last fall was Kent Leavitt '26 at seat seven in place of Geoffrey Platt '27.

Probation Not Serious This Year

While it is not definitely ascertained as yet what men will be lost to crew this year through probation, the effects of the coaching staff, particularly through the system of crew advisors, is expected to retain a larger proportion of oarsmen available for rowing this year than before. Particular stress has been placed on the necessity of maintaining satisfactory averages since the beginning of crew last fall, with the coaching staff acting in an advisory capacity for the entire squad.

That there is a dearth of good strokes in the University was evidenced by Coach Stevens elevating J. H. Perkins '27 to the position of stroke car in the second University eight. Perkins stroked the Freshman 150-1b, crew last year, and last fall occupied the same position in Coach Spuhn's first crew. He is one of the most finished oarsmen on the squad, and it is probably the intention of Coach Stevens to give him a good trial this spring.

W. K. Rice '27, who stroked crew Y for the greater part of the fall training season, has been placed at number six in what probably corresponds to Coach Stevens' third crew at present. Rice is a powerful stroke, but his work did not have the smoothness which characterized the leading of both Winthrop and Scudder. With Scudder definitely lost to crew through probation. It is not unlikely that Rice will again be at the stroke position when the shells take the water next month.

No attempt has been made to divide the oarsmen in Coach Stevens' second and third crews. The first eight, however, has all the appearance of a first combination, with Captain Kelley, Johnson, and Winthrop, all of whom earned their letters in the race with Yale last June rowing in this boat.

The first two eight rowed yesterday as follows:

Crew X.--Stroke, Robert Winthrop '25; 7. Kent Leavitt '26: 6, J. W. Gates '27: 5. G. R. Johnson '25; 4. D. C. Gates '26; 3, V. F. Righter '26; 2. C. OLD, Iselin '26; how, H. C. Peirce '27; cox., C. S. Heard 3E. S.

Crew Y. Stroke, J. H. Perkins '27: 7. Robert Ladd '27; 6. C. F. Darlington '26; 5. J. P. Hubbard '26; 4, W. J. Milde '25; 3, J. R. Barry '27; 2, Elisha Canning Jr. '26; cox., W. D. krumbhaar '26: cox., W. E. Beer Jr. '26