Printed Note Concerns Leave Cambridge in Disgust--No Demand, They Say--Harvard Does Not Appreciate Them

Investigation has indicated that concerns selling lecture and reading notes are going out of business. Suits for infringements on copyrights and the seanty support of the students have contributed largely to the emigration of these flies in the Faculty's ointment. At present no notes other than translations can be obtained in Cambridge, whereas formerly all kinds were sold throughout the year.

This year, reported one agent located at Plympton and Bow Streets, there has been a marked decrease in the demand for notes, even just before mid-year examinations, when the season usually is at its highest. Another dealer piteously complained that the students did not appreciate what she had been doing for them. Another said that he was afraid of being involved in copyright procedings, and therefore had given up a none too lucrative trade. These causes chiefly have induced publishers of notes other than translations to leave Cambridge.

"The larger concerns have been affected also. The College Tutoring School has given up its offices and disbanded. Another is confining its activities to other colleges in the vicinity. Those firms were the chief publishers of weekly reviews of the lectures and reading in the more important courses, which cannot be obtained at all at present. The stores which sell translations say that they still do a steady business, but it is restricted to a regular clientele. They believe that students are depending on the college and Phi Beta Kappa tutors rather than on outside aid. It is a matter of conjecture whether the former firms will return before the final examinations.